Programme of Opening and Closing lectures
The Venice School of Human Rights will allow participants from all over the world to study today’s challenges in the field of human rights. The Opening Lecture of the School will be held by Prof. Manfred Nowak, EIUC Secretary General and one of the most renowned human rights experts. Professor of international law and human rights at the University of Vienna, he was the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture and a member of the United Nations Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances. He has been recently appointed by the UN Secretary General to lead the New Global Study on Situation of Children in Detention.
Pioneering lawyer and pro-democracy campaigner; a leading activist in Pakistan's women's movement and international champion of human rights.
- Founded Pakistan’s first all-women law firm; first legal aid centre and national Human Rights Commission in 1986
- Advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan since 1992
- UN Special Representative on Human Rights Defenders, 2000-2008
- Awarded the Millennium Peace Prize for Women, 2001
Ms Jilani also served as:
- Member of the International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur, appointed by the United Nations Security Council, 2004
- Member of the Eminent Jurists Panel on Human Rights and Counter Terrorism appointed by the International Commission of Jurists, 2006-2008
- Member of the United Nations Fact Finding Mission on Gaza, April 2009
In July 2013 she was elected to join the International Commission of Jurists.
Manfred Nowak, Professor of International Law and Human Rights - University of Vienna, and Co-Director of the Ludwig Boltzmann institute of Human Rights (BIM), is the Secretary General at EIUC. Prof. Nowak has also been Head of the interdisciplinary research centre Human Rights at the University of Vienna since 2014, vice chair of the Management Board of the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights in Vienna and Scientific Director of the Vienna Master of Arts in Human Rights, University of Vienna, since 2012.
Manfred Nowak was United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture from 2004 to 2010. From 2000 to 2007 Prof. Manfred Nowak was the EMA Chairperson - EMA was awarded the 2006 UNESCO Prize for Human Rights Education (Honourable Mention).
Andrea is Deputy Director at Front Line Defenders. He joined the organisation in 2008, serving as Protection Coordinator for Sub-Saharan Africa from 2008 to 2011 and as Head of Protection from 2012 to 2016. Previously he worked at the International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) in Geneva, where he supported human rights defenders in accessing international and regional human rights mechanisms. Andrea is a lawyer by training, specialised in Public International Law and serves as a member of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Applied Human Rights at the University of York.
Venice School of Human Rights
- Programme of Opening and Closing lectures
- Programme of the cluster on The Implementation of SDGs and Business & Human Rights
- Programme of the cluster on Human Rights Defenders
- Programme of Sexual Violence in Conflict in a Changing Global Environment
- Admission Requirements
- Participants Voices
- Practical Information
- Contact Us