Name and Title: Professor Dr. Maria Teresa Pizarro Beleza
Position: Full Professor and Dean of Faculty of Law
Postal Address: Faculdade de Direito da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Campus de Campolide, 1099-032 Lisboa – Portugal
Phone: 00 351.21 384 7431
PhD in Law, University of Lisbon, 1993
MPhil in Criminology, Cambridge University, 1982
BA/LLM, University of Coimbra, 1976
E.MA Director (Lisbon) since 2001/2
Member of EIUC (www.eiuc.org) Board since December 2008.
Dean of Faculty of Law, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (UNL), since March 2009.
Research Expertise and Interests
Criminal Law and procedure, prisoners’ rights, gender, equality and discrimination.
Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Criminology, Human Rights and Equality Law.
- “Genderizing Human Rights: from Equality to Women’s Law” in European Union – China Dialogue on Human Rights – with special reference to Women Rovaniemi, Finland: University of Lapland, 2000.
- “Equality between Men and Women” in Discrimination and Prevention of Torture. Collected Papers from the First Roundtable under the EU-Iran Human Rights Dialogue Danish Institute for Human Rights, 2003.
- “Human Rights Guidelines. From the Constitution to Sugar Bags” Teresa Pizarro Beleza and Helena Pereira de Melo in 60 Years of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Europe, eds Vinodh Jaichand and Markku Suksi, Intersentia, Antwerp, 2009.
- “Of Bodies and Souls: Legal Issues of Human Cloning” Teresa Pizarro Beleza and Helena Pereira de Melo in Liber Amicorum José Sousa Brito, Coimbra, 2009.
- Direito das Mulheres e da Igualdade Social, Coimbra: Almedina, 2010.
Member of Public Prosecutors Governing Council (1996-2000).
Vice-President of “Centro de Bem Estar Social”, Parish of Sesimbra, daycare centre for children from 6 months up to 10 years of age (1997-2002).
EU expert in EU-China and EU-Iran Dialogues on Human Rights (1999-2002).
Member of the CPT (Committee for the Prevention of Torture, Council of Europe) in reference of Portugal (1999-2003).